Friday, June 28, 2013

Inspiring Montessori Blogs

Well, we're in Georgia now and having a great time with grandparents, but I haven't had regular internet access, so the posting is a going a little slower. Here's something I wrote last week. Hope you enjoy it!

If you click on "Godly Play" in my overhead bar, you can see my favorite blogs about Montessori-based religious education. But you may not know that I follow A LOT of other blogs as well! Over the summer I'd like to toot some other people's horns and share some favorite blogs on various topics. I'll start with inspiring Montessori blogs.

Living Montessori Now
Deb Chitwood is a certified Montessori teacher, who in turn homeschooled her own children using Montessori principles. Her blog is chock full of ideas about every theme/subject imaginable, but my favorite posts are when she writes about the principles and philosophy behind the mechanics of Montessori.

It's funny, I don't actually know this blogger-mom's real name, but her kids (Michelle, DJ and Ken) are part of my daily life, because I read about their homeschool adventures each day. Their appetite for learning is contagious and proof that Montessori really works. This mom also has another equally good blog called Think.Create.Explore.

DJ working with some math materials.
What DID we do all day?
Andrea's blog is a journal of her homeschooling experience with her two boys. If you want to learn to practically use Montessori within a homeschool context, this is the place to do it. I am continually amazed at the thoroughness in which she teaches each subject and the diligence with which she makes materials.

whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com

The Hands-On Homeschooler 
(formerly Montessori Tidbits)
Leann and I "met" through Karen Tyler's on-line Montessori course. She also has wonderful ideas about how to use Montessori principles at home. She also wrote one of my most popular posts about a Montessori-inspired prayer chart.
 
HandsOnHomeschooler.com



Leptir
Nataša is a Montessori teacher in Croatia. She hasn't been writing regularly in the past year, but her blog is nevertheless a wealth of information and ideas about the Montessori classroom. She inspired me to start trying tray ideas for my own children and the children I work with.




This lady is a Montessorian who writes about child development and parenting. I so wish I had known about her when my own children were smaller. You'll find lots of ideas for both at home and classroom settings.

Maren Schmidt

Coming soon: Nature and Waldorf-inspired blogs!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing our blog with your readers! It makes me happy to know that the work we do in our homeschool inspires you.

    Your blog has inspired us as well. Before reading your blog I had never heard of Godly Play. Thank you for sharing your love and helping us on our Godly Play journey, also thank you for sharing a new to me blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's a pleasure to share your blogs with others!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for including Living Montessori Now in your wonderful Montessori and Godly Play lists, Sheila! Those are some of my favorite blogs, too. Your blog is one of my favorite blogs as well. I love all the amazing work you've done with Godly Play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, thank you for including my blog on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Montessori information and teaching in such an inspiring way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carolyn! Thanks for reading along!

      Delete