Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Drawing Prayers with Children

I am always trying to find ways to encourage my children to connect with God and pray on their own rather than just at certain "official" times (i.e. before bedtime, family devotions, etc.) with Mommy and Daddy. Several months ago, I read this post at Watkins Every Flavor Beans about drawing prayers with children after Emily had read a book called "Praying in Color" by Sybil MacBeth. Since I know through my work with Godly Play and Montessori that children are intuitive rather than verbal and how drawing pictures can help younger children better express their thoughts, I was intrigued by the idea.

So I hung a large piece of paper in the hallway and wrote "Dear God . . . " on it.  I explained to the my kids that they could draw a picture of anything that they wanted to say to God at any time they wanted to.  For a couple of days, the paper stayed blank, perhaps because my children didn't really understand what it was all about.  Then, I drew a picture of a carrot, because I was particular pleased with some carrots I had bought that day and wanted to thank God for creating such yummy things to eat.  My kids wanted to know right away why I had drawn a carrot. Then, they started drawing their own pictures:


Some of the drawings above are requests, some express thankfulness, and some are there just because the kids thought God would like them. I don't all the reasons or specific prayers behind the drawings, but God does and that is all that matters.: )

2 comments:

  1. I love the T-Rex skeleton in the middle of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, isn't it? I love how children know that they can talk to God about absolutely anything.

    ReplyDelete