Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Drawing Layers: Butterflies and Flowers

One difficult concept for children in learning to draw is to mentally transform 3-D objects into two-dimensional ones. 
Betty Edwards talks about visually "flattening out the layers" in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  She has the reader use a transparency to hold up to an object and then trace said object with a non-permanent marker in order to see the flattening process. While very useful advice for an adult or older child, I find this to be a bit too complex for younger children.


Instead, the advice from Mona Brookes in Drawing with Children has proved most helpful to me in teaching my own children what to do. Her advice is to teach children to always draw what is "in front" first and then to draw the things in the background next. After drawing the object in front, you "skip over" it with your pencil to draw the object in the background, continuing with your line until it is finished. 


To practice this concept, I chose one of my daughter's favorite subjects: flowers and butterflies. I often use graphics from the internet and found this graphic (actually a crochet pattern) of a butterfly, bee and ladybug in front of a flower. We first drew the butterfly, ladybug and bee. Then, I showed her how draw the flower and "skip over" the parts of the flower hidden by the bugs. Her finishing touch was to add a house and people. It was a pretty exhausting process for her, but if you compare her drawing above to the original, it's impressive for a 6-year-old. 




Linked to The Magic Onions

4 comments:

  1. Your daughter's art work turned our beautifully! This book sounds like it is just what we need in our homeschool.Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Would love to see a post on your blog about how you guys implement artwork in your homeschooling!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I just found your site!! I love your artwork! This looks like a wonderful resource. I am a new follower and would be honored if you would visit/follow me back at http://lifeofblocks.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anastasia, Nice to meet you! I just looked at your website and look forward to reading more of your work. Thanks for joining me here!

      Delete