Friday, April 6, 2012

Celebrating Lent: Holy Week

It's Maundy Thursday and since we will be travelling on Good Friday, we decided to remember Jesus' last meal and the way to the cross today. As I was pondering how we could best celebrate Holy Week away from home, Three Sided Wheel contributed the salt dough crown of thorns idea to the Link-Up that I thought would be a great idea for the Last Supper. I expanded upon her idea by making the crown of thorns out of bread to be shared after telling the story of Jesus' last days.




I used this great recipe for a sweet Easter bread. My son helped make the dough and did the kneading. Below you can see that it ended up as a spaceship at one point!



I divided the dough into three pieces and my daughter braided them.


Getting ready to bake the crown.



A half hour later, we had delicious smelling bread and my children placed the toothpicks in to represent the thorns.



The weather was beautiful and we sat outside with Grandma to tell the story of Jesus' last days. My husband began the story and my children told the parts that they remembered. 


After the story, we recounted Jesus' words to his disciples at the Last Supper and enjoyed the bread and grape juice. It was a beautiful way to focus on Christ's suffering for the world and prepare ourselves for the joy that will come at Easter.




 . . . . . . . . . 

This will be the last week of Celebrating Lent! It has been a wonderful experience for me and Storyteller from Wonderful in an Easter Kind of Way.

If you haven't seen these, please don't miss Living Montessori Now's Model of Jerusalem idea





If you are here for the first time, here is the scoop: for the entire six weeks of Lent, we are inviting any of you with Lenten-themed or Preparing for Easter posts that fit the following categories to share your ideas with us.



  • story-based religious activities 
  • art projects 
  • Montessori activities
  • nature-based projects
Please enter your submissions below. All we ask is that you kindly link back to both of our blogs, Explore and Express and Wonderful in an Easter Kind of Way. Feel free to grab the button to the right to add to your blog post.

By participating you allow us permission to use your photos to share highlights. 



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite :) Lots of ideas for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I can't wait to read more of your Lenten thoughts once you've had time to process them.

      Delete
  2. It's been wonderful to share this Lenten journey with you, Sheila! Thanks so much for featuring my post. I wish you and your family all the joys of Easter! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deb! Happy Eastertide to you as well!

    ReplyDelete